HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Over hunting your stand or woods?
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing. "Over hunting" might mean one of two different things to you...

If you're talking about "over hunting", as in "going hunting in one spot too much", then it depends on how much impact you are making. If you are stealthy and low impact, animals might not know you are there, so you could hunt it every day and never drive them off. If they DO know you are there everyday, they will pattern you and move away from the spot, at least at the times they know you are there.

If you are talking about "over hunting", as in the "successful harvest of too many animals above the sustainability rate of the property", then that is NEVER a good thing, unless you are trying to knock out a population. When I go on depredation calls, I kill every coyote I see, because I'm trying to "overhunt" the area, and destroy the population. When I hunt doe for meat, then I intentionally leave some doe to walk so I know I'll have a healthy population back in the future.

So VISITING one spot too often depends how much impact you make, a good hunter might never 'over-visit' one spot. But the other meaning of 'overhunting' one spot, referring to KILLING GAME in one spot too often such that the population can't recover, is never productive.