HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Opening day Bull
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Glad u posted this i morn hunt alone. And bein new to elk huntin was unsure how to get it out. I think ill follow ur idea. Was thinkin it be good bear bait

I've used the gutless method for about 15 years before it became popular. I hunt alone, and needed to find the fastest, and easiest way to get the meat out. I'm always back in the wilderness areas, so I also bone out all the meat. I don't carry out any bones. It's hard to describe how to use the gutless method with words. I've tried it on other forums, but I was never sure if they really understood what to do.

So, here's a video on how to do it. I do some things that aren't on the video. I don't have a buddy to help like in the video, so I bring lots of rope to hold out the legs. I hunt the timber, so there's always lots of trees to tie the legs to. It makes it much easier. I also bring a couple of tarps that I try to get the elk onto, and another to bone out the quarters after they're cut off the carcass. You also see flies landing on the meat. You don't want that. They lay eggs when they do that. That's also why you need good game bags that the flies can't lay eggs through. I use the Caribou bags. They come with tags that I use to label the meat/bags after deboning. You can use pepper on the meat for the flies, but a citric acid spray is better. Just spray all the meat as soon as you get the hide skinned off, and the flies will stay off the meat. You can also spray the bags.

So, watch this video. It's actually easier than what it looks like. He's using a dull knife, and makes it harder than it has to be.

http://elk101.com/videos/gutless-video/