HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first "real" deer season
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 AM
NEhomer
Fork Horn

After staying out of our woods for a week, me and my buddy went in yesterday. I had my trail cam looking over a convergence of trails downhill and South of the orchard where I've photographed several bucks and bears. I was getting the doubt from my friend but alas, the first pic is an eight point walking right past. Several other deer, does and horns, in multiple events confirmed the hot spot. Got a small spike during the daylight. I've caught him in night pics with one of the eight pointers so likely, the big guy was close by.

Southwest of this small orchard is what I'm certain is their bedding area. Southeast leads up a steep bank to the road so they ain't goin' that way. We made it down to the swampy area that borders this hardwood forest and the sign was literally everywhere. From that point due west about a hundred and fifty yards away, there's a steep drop off to the stream and beaver ponds. This makes a strong natural funnel that will force deer past our stands. My bud's now second guessing his two man tree stand northwest of this area where it's more open. He got the thing on sale cheap so he may just end up buyng a climber and pinching off that funnel near me. One stand on the corner of the swamp and one to the west short of the drop off and just about everything has to travel near one of us.

All that said, I think I'm gonna be ok with my smoothbore and red dot sight. The mount I made came out really nice and solid. I'm not going to get a shot longer than 50yds through the forest and I'm hitting some decent groups at that distance. The sight helps a lot. So for this year, I'm gonna see how it goes. I still have to practice from my stand.

I've hunted geese, ducks abd upland birds for many years and I'm a very good wingshooter. Shot several gobblers too but I'm learning that this aiming precisely and releasing the trigger without flinching or moving off target presents it's own challenge.

Last edited by NEhomer; 11-11-2013 at 05:24 AM.