HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First Shot at a deer with Bow
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 03:40 AM
croc2116
Fork Horn

Default First Shot at a deer with Bow

I am a begginer archer and have never shot at a deer yet. Yesterday I had went out for the last hour and fifteen minutes of legal hunting time. It was about 5 minutes left and I heard some deer coming. I shot a doe, thought it was a good shot. I thought I heard her crash. Half an hour later got down and couldnt find arrow and backed out for about an hour. Came back and found blood about 60 yards away. I trailed her down hill through the creek and once I stepped into creek I heard her blow at top of ridge, so I backed out and came back at 10pm. Tracked the blood up a ridge about 3/4's of the way and no more blood. I searched everywhere around last blood for an hour then searched on top of the ridge and all over the side of the ridge and back down to the creek. I got home about 12:30 -1 am. The blood was bright red, no bubbles or matter in it and I found it directly on ground about 10-15 yrds apart, drops and little puddles the size of a large grape fruit. I still haven't found arrow. It snowed and rained last night so I am going back out this am (sunday) to try again. My questions are: Could it have been a superficial muscle hit? Also have I ruined that spot by trying to track her last night? Most of my tracking and being in the woods was about 60 yards away from stand sight across the creek. It is really depressing wondering if deer is dead or suffering.

PS Thanks for those who responded to my previous thread because that got me thinking and out there and you all were right.

Thanks to all that respond