HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270 for Elk
Thread: .270 for Elk
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 PM
stevenm2
Spike

I shot a spike bull this season. I was shooting a 300 wsm with full house reloaded 150 gr, accubonds. I got rushed this year and did not not have time to sight in another load. Besides this particular load had done so well on a nice 4 pt. buck and a Bighorn sheep earlier.
I had a spike only tag (Thought.. Just a Big deer) and the first shot was quartering towards me (I was fully engrossed in a 5 x6 branch bull that I could not shoot I may have rushed the shot but it was fatal) I shot him directly behind the front shoulder and much to my surprise he did not go down. He staggered a few steps and I hit him broadside with a proper 2nd shot behind the shoulder. He still did not go down. I recovered him less than a hundred yards later and while skinning I recovered one of the bullets. It mushroomed perfectly but has lost 33% of its weight. the bullet weighed 100.6 grs.
I prefer two holes as well. sectional density on this bullet is not that high. I feel I learned that lesson... again
I have for a long time shot a .340 weatherby and did not have time to shoot it this year. I remember thinking "The .300 will work fine" and it did. But I will using the 340 or maybe the new 35 whelen project I am working on for Elk in the future especially if bigger bulls are allowed.
I like bigger bullets in Bigger animals. I do not think I will using a .270 or a light bullet loaded 300 for elk again.
Not when I have a couple of Medium Bore rifles in the safe.
My point is I think there are better choices for hunting Elk than a .270 But I also think they will put meat in the freezer.
I own a .270 weatherby and it is a fine deer& Antelope rifle

By the way We loaded him Whole on the 4 wheeler after winching him up the hill where it got too steep to take the quad. It was nice to pull one out whole for a change.