HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My first "real" deer season
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 06:40 AM
rockport
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEhomer
Can't thank you all enough for the info.

Same sentiments back to you Green Horn...good luck out there this year. Have you ever field dressed a deer before? THAT'S gonna be a new experience for you!

rockport, i've got a feeling that you're right and I may end up ditching the red dot thing but I think I'm going to be able to machine a rail for it in my shop today. If it shows promise on my smoothbore to to 60yds, I can reassess things.

Uncle....thanks for the ebay nod. Been checking things out there and by the end of six days of bidding, I'm sure that price will climb. They've been going for just about $300.00 by bid's end. I may go that route yet.

Kathwacckkk, my buddy went the muzzleloader option but damn if he wasn't pushing $600.00 by the time he had all the accessories and such.

I still have a few weeks to sort this all out.

My last question for you experienced hunters....how do you sleep with the enormous level of excitement and anticipation?! Lol....I've had obsessions before but I can barely concentrate on all the crap I have to do.
Ive been doing it for 20 years and I don't sleep the night before the opener.

Your red dot will absolutely work at 60 yards. There are just better options.

The good thing about ebay is its an auction. You know your only paying a couple bucks more than other people bid so you pretty much know you could buy it,try it,decide if its worth it, and if its not put it right back on ebay at a very minimal loss.(I do this a lot)

I will warn you though the big expense would be ammo. That price increases dramatically when you go from rifled slugs to sabot slugs.