HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What kind of deer hunter are you?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:41 AM
bald9eagle
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I apologize if I "missed what your saying" but I said this.

"I don't feel like placing my attention on rack size is in any way even remotely related to poaching or wasting meat."

and you responded with this

"It absolutely is."

I don't have to think about it. I see monster bucks in my headlights relatively regularly with a gun in the truck and don't even consider shooting them.

I am a hunter. I do it for the hunt and I did it before it was cool because it is and always has been my passion.Friday I rattled in a 130ish 8 point to about 6 feet from my tree and Saturday I had a 140ish 10 point almost bump my ladder it was awesome for me. I didn't have to shoot them and show them off for it to make me very happy. Sometimes I don't get a buck at all. I'll always shoot quite a few does and I almost always have a tag left over because if its hunting season I'm going to hunt and sometimes holding a tag until the last day means eating a tag. I'm not looking to get out there,kill something, and come home. I do shoot mature bucks that don't have huge racks sometimes.

I'm not going to lie its not all about the meat for me. Just the gas money I spend chasing these things could buy me a cow.

A couple years ago I passed a nice buck with just a few hours on the hunting season clock. It didn't bother me. I enjoyed it anyway and I got the rush just from being there. Then with about 20 minutes on the clock I took a beast of a buck. One eye,scars all over...the king of the deer woods. You could almost feel his presence when he showed up. He moved different,he acted different and he looked different. He was the alpha and the other deer moved away as he approached. He had a good set of horns but that was just a bonus for me and I would have taken him anyway.

It may seem weird but that is the experience I want and you don't get that from a truck window.

Ahhhhh...... I see where the misunderstanding is. I was saying that the chase for big racks was often a cause of poaching, not you specifically. I also had to go back and edit my last post. I said my dad WOULD shoot deer just to shoot deer and that was supposed to be WOULDN'T.

See, I'm not knocking your passion for chasing mature bucks. My point was more that the obsession with big racks is the cause for a lot of the things we do as outdoorsmen and wildlife managers. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that letting a good 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year old buck live improves your deer herd.

You can't deny though that there are tons of folks out there that would fall to the temptation of seeing a big buck standing just off the road.

BTW, Nice buck.