HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Few ar questions
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 01:12 AM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

I have no worries bout being robbed in co nor did i in ky. On opening day of gun season a hunter came up to me asked if id help drag his deer out as he could not do it himself. Ibwas not leaving my thousand dollar rifle. When we got to his deer he seemed more wanting to talk then get the deer out. I told him ivwanted to get back to hunting after tieing a drag rope on it he said well i think i can get it after a 30 min didcussion. When we came out of the woods there was three guys at my nlind across the dry lake bed. When we got to my blind one of them was in it. All three was the dudes hunting buddies. A few minutes into the talk. One of them asked me where i moved from when i said indiana they developed an attitude. One of the guys keep talking bout how folks there didnt like yankees talking their hunting spots and turned the talk to how alot of folks "come down here from upnorth and get robbed and sometimes shot. He then asked if i washunting alone. I lied said my buddy was down the creek. He then questioned why i was hunting with an ar. All four of them had bolt action rifles.
After the attitude and the guy in my blind i feel the guy asked me for help to get me away from my gear and gun so his buddies could steal it

A week or two later i was talking to a game warden he told me they had alot of problems with gear being stolen and a few people robbed.
I was hunting with the ar cause at the time it was the only rifle i had

I will not be hunting with a 5.56. I am buying a dpms 308 pretty sure the 308 is a popular elk round and pretty sure dpms makes one of the bedt ars out there
Im pretty sure a stock ar10 with the same high end scope on say a reminton 700 will do just as bought as good if not better then the 700

Originally Posted by homers brother
Robbed in the woods? Somehow I think you're going to find that highly unlikely in Colorado. I'm not certain of Colorado's laws, but you'd better make sure your 5.56 AR is legal for the game you're chasing first. Wyoming just made certain .22 centerfires legal this year and only for deer-sized and smaller game, not for elk or moose.

As far as accuracy goes, a good AR platform can be accurate, but it typically costs a lot more money to make it so than it does a bolt gun. I've competed with my .308 bolt gun against guys using .308 gas guns and the biggest difference tends to be the amount of coin invested.

If you're looking at gas piston guns versus traditional direct impingement, be aware that some makers simply slap something with an operating rod onto the upper and barrel to make it work. The recoil impulse is different (not more, just different), but what I've seen of the lower-end gas piston guns is some interesting wear inside the upper, and in some cases the BCG. It appears to me that with some of those systems, there may be some "tipping" of the BCG depending on the alignment/union of the op rod to the BCG which in turn may not be riding quite right inside the receiver. Just my opinion, I don't own one to strip one down regularly enough to keep track of what's going on inside. You'd probably have to shoot it a lot to wear it out. DI guns are dirty, and particularly so with junk ammo. Pick your poison. I'll stick with DI.