HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - God is Amazing
Thread: God is Amazing
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 AM
Murby
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sachiko
Shinto is a religion. Some write it off as pantheism or ancestor worship, but that's not accurate.
So I was right! (sort of)... While it may technically be a religion, it doesn't have all of the characteristics one generally associates with a religious practice. Lets test the waters shall we?
1) Is there a Shinto church where people gather for the purpose of worship? (memorials and festivals are exempt)
2) Is there a Shinto preist or master who dictates what you can and can't do and what to think and say to others?
3) Does the Shinto practice solicit financial support where such support is funneled to the top like a pyramid?
4) Does Shinto imply threats and penalties for non-conformance?
5) Does Shinto explicitly and strategically act to perpetuate its own proliferation?

We do believe that there is an element of the creator in everything including rocks and trees. But that really isn't any different than the Christian belief that God is omnipresent is it?
I do believe it is different. From my short time reading, it seems to me that the Shinto practice is so pacifistic that one would hardly call it religion.. In ten minutes of familiarizing myself with it, it looks like more of a tradition of respect than a worship of a higher-power.
Sure, there might be a higher power involved in there, but that's not the main focus.
At least, that's the impression I am getting.. I'm obviously not Japanese and am not going to have a good understanding of your ways via a few google searches.

I know that my the spirits of our ancestors are there to guide us if we listen. Is this so different than the Catholic prayer for intercession to the saints? I know that my husband's spirit will still be there to guide me and our daughters even after he leaves this life.
Again, a few google searches isn't going to make me qualified enough to make some of these determinations. But the impression I am getting is clearly one of tradition and not religion. If I had to put a number to it, I'd say 95% tradition, vs 5% religious worship.

Shinto does not have a holy book which incorporates a set of dogmas and rules to which one has to swear allegiance which makes it different from Western religions.
I kind of think that pretty much makes it a non-religion. Perhaps not technically because I think that any belief in a higher power could be classified as a religion.. That said, its not what one would typically consider a religion.
I think that the absence of a book is probably a key factor.

I am always willing to explain what I believe. And my husband shares my beliefs. But I don't feel as though I have to convince anyone in order that they might be "saved." My faith is strong enough to deal with the fact that others may disagree with me.
That's because your religion isn't really a religion in the sense we think of. You have no requirement to proliferate. No threats of violence or punishment for non conformance. Now you got me really curious if Shinto solicits financial support.

If everyone was Shinto, religion in this world wouldn't exist as it does today. I'm not saying Shinto is good or bad, I'm just saying that its not really what we westerners consider a religion in the common way that causes all the problems in society.

Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to be free of the restrictions of your earthly body and mind?
I experience that every night when I dream in my sleep.. Well, most nights anyhow.. Sometimes I have to put up with those pesky ninja's attacking!

Thank you again for contributing. I don't think that anyone, even the anti-religious like me, would have anything against your way of thinking.