HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - God is Amazing
Thread: God is Amazing
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 AM
sachiko
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Shinto is a religion. Some write it off as pantheism or ancestor worship, but that's not accurate. We do believe that there is an element of the creator in everything including rocks and trees. But that really isn't any different than the Christian belief that God is omnipresent is it?

I know that my the spirits of our ancestors are there to guide us if we listen. Is this so different than the Catholic prayer for intercession to the saints? I know that my husband's spirit will still be there to guide me and our daughters even after he leaves this life.

I do accept the Catholic faith. I just believe that doctrines and dogmas can be imperfect and I accept, as does my husband, what is true for us. The fact that religious beliefs are frequently revised makes this attitude seem reasonable.

And I understand that one of the popes has said there is no conflict between the Bible and evolution. And they teach evolution in the science classes in our local Catholic schools.

Shinto does not have a holy book which incorporates a set of dogmas and rules to which one has to swear allegiance which makes it different from Western religions. In the Eastern tradition, one accepts what one has come to know. My husband spent much time in Korea. He tells me that it is not unusual there to see people who respect and follow both Buddha and Jesus.

As far as life after death, Christianity holds to a belief in a heaven, a specific place. I was not raised that way. The life of the soul after death is a different state but not a different place.

I am always willing to explain what I believe. And my husband shares my beliefs. But I don't feel as though I have to convince anyone in order that they might be "saved." My faith is strong enough to deal with the fact that others may disagree with me.

Although I have made mistakes in my life, I don't believe that I am a vile sinner in need of salvation.

As far as the hereafter is concerned, I don't believe we'll be bored. I think the wisdom we will acquire will be sufficient for our needs. Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like to be free of the restrictions of your earthly body and mind?

May The Sheep Be With You