HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting during a windy day?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM
craig
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Thank you guys, Craig, As the name states I am shuch a green horn hunter, I know what the flecting is and I know what the vanes are, But as for the names of the I.E brand name? I have no clue, I am using Pile driver bolts if that helps.
Hi again GHH,

OK, bolts are Pile Drivers, those are decent arrows by rep. anyways, but are they the carbon or the aluminum ones + length? Bow model & maker would also help & I'd expect them to be on the bow someplace......at least most bows do. Would also help us a LOT to know these things in helping you.

EDIT:

I checked on the Pile Driver arrows/bolts. A heavy carbon one @ 440gr. if a 20" arrow with 100gr. tip & 480 if 22" & 100gr. tip.
The fletchings are 3" and look to be fairly low style, so that should work fairly well.
Much will depend on the bow & what speed it fires these at as to the drift in a full crossing wind. If bow is a very fast one of near or over 400fps, I'd say less than 2" of drift @ 25yds & 15 mph. If bow is under 300fps, 3"-??

Still, the best way is to shoot some target @ known ranges with a full crosswind & various angled winds. To know wind even moderately well is going to take some time & shooting targets, no other way really. Even if someone on here were able to tell you exactly what to expect in a full crossing wind of a given speed, that won't really get you dialed in for hunting uses.

Last edited by craig; 10-30-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added info,