HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Obese deer & age guess?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Default Obese deer & age guess?

lol how else would you describe this buck?

This is a 6ptr that my 13yr old son let walk Saturday morning which was the opening day of TNs juvie gun wknd. Just going by the head/skull, rack, and movement/body language of this buck (he fed in an oat plot for 15mins) I think this buck is young (2.5-3.5yrs) But then there's that LARDA## body of his. The thing looks & eats like a horse.

I truly think we have 2 "types/strains" of bucks on my river bottom farm. 1). Is like this buck. Well over 200#ers with typically a large 6 or 8pt rack. 2). Is the more desired, preferred "rack stars" that grow heavy, taller, less wide, more tines/points as well as stickers & kickers. These bucks rarely exceed 200#. (With ZERO mgmt under the previous owner the farm produced 2 over 180inches, one a typical, one a non-typ) A 12000acre Federal Refuge with limited hunting lies 4500ft from one of my borders.

And no this isn't a Canada or northern states deer. My very rich soil river bottom swamp is in west TN! We've taken 4 bucks over 220#s (weighed at processor) and some mature does on my place I feel confident in saying will go 150+#.

How old would you guess this buck at? He has no sway back, nor squared hips, no long nose, wide face nor a roman nose & like I said he moves & acts like a youngster.
Attached Images  

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 10-28-2013 at 04:29 PM.