HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 670 yard Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
streetglideok
Fork Horn

Interesting bio there Muley, thanks for sharing that. Every hunter with time under his belt has learned their own way to hunt, that is heavily dictated on where they hunt. In Wisconsin, we have a mix of hardwoods and nasty blackberry bushes in them, and hay and corn fields. Sometimes you get a shot in the woods, and you really don't need a big gun for that. Other times you're only able to see the boogers when they are in the fields, and you need a scoped gun with enough oomph to get the job done at 200-300 yards. Usually the season starts out hunting in stands, as there is enough pressure to move deer. Then you resort to still hunting, then eventually you get the people who are as desperate as you and drive the woods out. The best guys get the fields, the young people(usually gunless in orange) and bad shooters get to crawl thru the nasty stuff to push the deer out. I'm lazy and smart, I made sure to have an adequate gun and skill and stood point. That's just how they did it there right or wrong. Most of my filled tags came from still hunting actually, except for a deer drive that landed a head shot on a doe. I don't seek long range shots, I let them find me which really isn't often and not all that far. One small herd of elk that came across me(nearly ran me over) was an encounter of 25yards or so. They ran up on me from behind, not giving me a chance to get a shot at them. None of the other guys with me got that lucky. They also stayed closer to camp. I differ from some, in that I don't totally dismiss long range shots. Sometimes they are warranted, and are fine with a good shooter. Other times they are not appropriate.