HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First post and need help!!
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Erno86
Nontypical Buck

The deer might be nocturnal. Did you try rattling any antlers? If you hunt in a treestand, tie a six inch string between the two antlers. I drill a small string hole near each base of the antler. Tie a camo string in the middle of the antler string, and lower the set of antlers down to ground level. Just shake the string up an down too make the antlers clash together.

The buck expects the buck fight to be on the ground...not in your treestand. If the buck loses interest and starts to walk away --- just tick the antlers together a little bit --- and he'll probably stop walking away momentarily for you to get off a possible shot.

Hunt three days before the main rut kicks in...an 3 days after. The height of the main rut in Maryland is November 13. It's hard to stop a running buck that is chasing a hot doe on the 13th; but it is possible. Give him a loud grunt with your mouth an vocal cords.

One morning...in one of my bygone hunting area's, I rattled in 9 bucks; just before the main rut.

I like to rattle antlers starting around October 21. You can also rattle in hot does that are looking for a stud. I even had a doe and a yearling plunge in a lake that they swam across for about 100 yards --- ran up the bank --- and about 50 yards, to within 10 yards of my treestand; after my rattlin session.

Last edited by Erno86; 10-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.