HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 670 yard Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by c-rad
No disrespect to how everybody hunts but whats makes a good hunter is adapting to the environment they are given. Shooting 700yds is ok if you can see that far. Trying to get across a clover field 700yds to get a shot with a bow and not get spotted it a whole different challenge and skill. If I would of stuck to the way I learned to hunt in the northeast and south my success rate in Colorado where I hunt would have been 25%. I killed 3 elk in 4 years. Learning how to glass and call/stalk made me successful. I also use the heck out of trail cams to pattern animals. Elk have a lot bigger range than a white tail but you can still get a idea how they travel. So using technology, your weapon and your skills is all hunting. What works for one person in their area might not work for others. If you stick to one way you will never be successful everywhere.
I have to disagree, because I have personal experience with doing what you say won't work.

I was born, and brought up in Mass. While everybody used tree stands. I was taught to still hunt. I've continued to use that method all my life, and have been very successful. Glassing and long shots is not the only way to hunt elk in Colorado. They use timber to hide, and bed down. You just need to learn how to find them, and get close without being seen, smelled, or heard. It's not for everybody, but I enjoy it.