HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - VA Tundra Swan
Thread: VA Tundra Swan
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2013, 03:43 AM
flags
Giant Nontypical

I also drew the tundra swan permit for VA and I've got one for NC too. That kind of surprised me. There is a guy named Joe Austin that runs an outfit called DOA Outfitters. He guides for swan in VA. I had the permit a couple of years ago and contacted him. He seemed really good but the Navy decided to send us on deployment a few months early so I ate the tag that year.

I've already booked a guide in NC for the last week of Jan. For VA I'll be hunting right on the state line. I know a farmer that has a huge spread that sits in both VA and NC. Lots of times he has problems with the swans and geese eating his winter wheat. So he has said I can hunt. I don't have swan decoys so it will be pass shooting in his fields. Good thing is I can hunt either state which makes it easier since 3/4ths of what he owns is in NC. A Navy buddy of mine also got the tag for VA and the farmer said he can hunt too but I doubt if he would allow any extras.

You may want to contact the game and fish and see if they know any other farmers that have problems with them.