HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting during a windy day?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 09:22 PM
craig
Fork Horn

Green Horn,

You did not say what bow you are hunting with or arrows, fletches & razor heads used. And in combination these things can change the amount of defection a lot.

But even with a bow shooting 300fps, large fixed blade head, 5" vanes or feathers, light for bow arrows I very much doubt you'd see more than 2-3" of deflection at 25 yds in moderate winds...........up to 15mph. And if you are shooting a arrow that has a mech. razor head, 3" long or less & .5" or lower fletches......then about 1.5" or less at 25yds.

Every set up is different, best way to KNOW is to go shoot some target in a cross wind that is as strong as any you care to hunt in. The more practicing you do in cross wind conditions the better your "feel" for this will become.

I shoot a bow that runs 425 fps with 400gr. arrows. But I use a 440 gr. arrow, with mech. Reaper razor heads, 2.7" goat tuff fletching. At 25 yds I'd not even consider windage @ 15mph crosswind.

Profile means more in wind IMO than arrow weight, most of all at modest ranges like you posted.

Like others said, within reason, hunt whenever you can.