HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are there any purists here?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 06:19 PM
idahoron
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Smokin Dee Licous
Hey man - no offense meant but I feel the primitive season was created to put the hunter at a disadvantage. It's wet, it's windy, it's warm one season and cold the other... It's during rut in season 1 (here in PA) it's like giving out cross bows to anyone who wants to call themselves bowhunters. I think if you want to put fiber sights and pyrodex and scopes, all that stuff on your gun you shouldn't be in primitive season. I think you should show off your skills in regular season. Leave primitive to the primitives. Also, just because TC cranks out guns doesn't make these things "center fire reliable" Mine will have a misfire depending on weather and care and if you remember my original post I said I only colored an iron sight with paint and enlarged a touch hole. Somedays I can't get the thing to fire but when the stars align that's when it happens. When someone comes up with a compound crossbow with a computer scope that gives shooting solution, is that the object of the game? It's not always outcome but overcoming the obstacles that makes it enjoyable.
------------------------------------------------------------------
No offence taken. But your TC flint lock is not HC or PC. If you want a primitive season, and it sounds like your leaning to HC/PC type of season then your TC is not going to cut it.

Lets look at my rifle again. The overall sidelock of the TC Hawken or Renegade. These like I said are not PC/HC in any way. But the overall technology is still mid 1800's would you agree??? Yours is a TC and YOUS is in your opinion perfectly suitable would you say a Hawken or a Renegade is?

My barrels are fast twist. Yes fast twist was around in the mid 1800's in fact the Gibbs, and the whitworth were both fast twist guns.

The bullets. Mine are long paper patched bullets. That technology is also from the mid 1800's. The whitworth and the Gibbs were both shot to 1000 yards using that technology.

Lets look at my sights. Mine are Lyman 57 SML adjustable peeps. Vernier style peeps were the only sights used by the Whitworth, gibbs and others. They look a little different but they work the same. You raise the peep to shoot longer range. The original Vernier sights of the Gibbs and whitworth were superior in my opinion.

My front sight is a globe sight, the Lyman 17 AML. They are the same exact technology as the globe sight on the gibbs and the whitworth. There is NO fiber optic sights on any of my guns.

SO lets take a step back. Would you say that your gun is a reasonable likeness to a gun that would be areound in the mid 1800's?

I think mine are a reasonable likeness in both looks and technology, to the long range guns that were made in the mid 1800's mainly the Gibbs and the whitworth. No mine are not exact replicas by any means but they function exactly the same. Is yours an exact replica to ANY mid 1800's gun? NO! but it is a reasonable likeness, and function for a factory gun.

I mean no disrespect but your just as far away from HC/PC as I am. Now if you want to step off the high horse, and look at what my rifles are as far as technology and look at what the technology was in the mid 1800's you will see that while mine are Hot Rods compared to most side lock rifles of today, the guys that first started to shoot Whitworths and Gibbs in the mid 1800's were probably cussed by the guys that couldn't keep up with them too.
What you should be worrying about is more ML opportunity for all. If you go about setting this group against that group your going to lose opportunity. I saw this happen here in Idaho.

Our F&G went to a PRB only rule and sidle lock only. When that happened fewer guys hunted. But since fewer guys hunted the ML season the ML guys got crappy hunts. Doe deer and cow elk were all that were offered. Soon the whole "primitive" hunt went to the way side and it was opened up to inlines that have the cap exposed to the weather. We also can't use primers only #11 caps.
Would I like to see a side lock only rule back in place. Yes but I don't want to give up my bullets for PRB's, and I don't want to lose the ability to hunt for bucks and bulls. We can't have everything the way we want like spoiled children. If we want ML opportunity we are going to have to suck it up and hunt with others. In my case I developed a gun and load that surpasses most if not all inlines that are legal in our hunts. So I don't feel like I am the one that is being picked on. I just went back to mid 1800 technology to surpass anything that is offered today. Ron

Last edited by idahoron; 10-21-2013 at 06:22 PM.