HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 670 yard Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Muley Hunter
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by streetglideok
Well, we tried to burn everything around us last year and this year, and we took a break from this year hunting as well. I think we may try 55 next year, as I at least know one area back in the wilderness that produce elk. I have 350gr flatpoint hornadys and 405gr hard cast loads, to which I'm not sure which I'll take. I have peeps on the 22" 1895, and open sights on the 1895 guide gun. I have a 260gr partition load for the 375 with 2-7x glass on it, so it can work close up or out a couple hundred yards. With those kind of woods, long range simply won't happen as we all know. Now some areas I've hunted, its either crawl thru blackberry bushes, or stand over hay fields. I'll stick with standing, and let the guys with the wittle guns crawl thru the nasty stuff.
I hope you're hunting unit 55 in 1st rifle season? 2nd or 3rd season is OTC, and a real zoo over there. Even the wilderness areas will be full of outfitters.

I'm right next to the unit. The 4th picture down. Unit 55 is right over that ridge.

In my unit we have only 75 muzzleloader hunters. In the rifle seasons we have almost 900. I won't ever hunt rifle seasons again.

Still hunting only works when no other hunters are around.

Although I never worried about long range hunters, because they can't see into my timber. They'll be up on some ridge with a spotting scope glued to their head.