HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Unit 681 (BEAR RIVER)
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Stiknstring
Spike

I completely forgot about this forum !!
After registering again, I was surprised to see my own post.
Just to update, I have fallen in love with the area, had some awesome hunts, the unit is all walk in, no overnight camping or parking at the gates so limited penetration into area by very few hunters.
The statistics are a little misleading because most hunters actually are in the Williams Creek area due to access, but hit a few gates when the pressure forces the elk away from roads, and majority of harvest is local hunters. Prior to 2007 antlerless harvest was limited to late season.
I have been only able to hunt one week of early season, but have had no trouble finding elk.
My main limitation has been calling animals directly to me, and being unable to take a shot, major handicap of hunting alone.
I have now managed to convince a couple friends to join me, camping in the Williams Creek unit so I am learning both units.
I have yet to harvest an Elk myself, but had some pretty exciting encounters, in 2011 I called in 9 different bulls in 6 days, this year I called in 2, one of those 3 different times. I am really looking forward to 2015 when the season will be later in September so that it will be closer to the peak of the rut.
This year Matt Brody from Wisconsin came out and hunted behind one of the gates and harvested a 5X5 on the second day of the season.