HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Are wild hogs good eating?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM
bob harbison
Spike

First of all...the only dumb qusetion is the one that is not asked!
A real treat

I have been hunting hogs in Florida for over 1/2 a century. I have learned a great deal of respect for this brute with huge teeth, an unbelievable nose, and an attitude...all bad.
I have been chased by them and had the living daylights knocked out of me by them. About fifteen years ago I decided enough was enough. I switched to a 45/70; they chase me no more.
Properly prepared the wild hog, even big boars, can be very tasty.
Tricks of the trade:
Particularly if it weather is warm, say anywhere approaching 70, it's of paramount importance to dress and ice down the hog ASAP. I then like to soak the meat for 3-4 days in a mixture of ice water, plenty of ice, salt, and apple cider vinegar. If bloody, change the water several times. De-boned our trophy is ready for the vacuum sealer. Nothing but quality:

NEXT UP: On larger hogs, 100 + pounds, 8-10 hours in a slow cooker works wonders.

In a stew with onions, potatoes, carrots, etc. our big boy provides a meal fit for a king.
Home made country pork sausage. Unbelievable!

My all time favorite: Young porkers 60-75 pounds on the grill. Fantastic!

The wild hog, male or female, can be very tasty. I would suggest being extremely skeptical of one that has been allowed to get too hot, or has been run by dogs. Other than that, the hog hunter is in for a real treat.
Bob Harbison Florida Outdoor Writers Association