HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you process your deer or take it to the butcher?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Wilcam47
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ChasinTail
Doesn't sound to bad of a job at all. Youth season is this weekend and I've got a spot set up for my nephew where I've got does on cam at the same time everyday. Should be able to get one pretty easily. And I'm gonna try and see how I do at processing myself. I'll let you all know.

You guys prefer wrapping in paper freezer paper or plastic. Don't have a vaccum sealer.

How easy is it to make jerky?
I have taken meat to the butcher...depends on your area some charge to skin the animal. last year I gutted and skinned and took to the butcher...he made ground and breakfast sausage and tenderloins/backstraps...all was ok but the breakfast sausage had some small bone chips in it...which is annoying. this year I have a friend that has a cooler and we skinned and gutted hung in the cooler for a few days and we processed it to burger. I kept the tenderloins and backstraps separate. Its not a bad job if you have a grinder. meat slicer etc...you don't need a meat slicer but it helps... a grinder is a must! If you don't have that its best to find a processor.

best way to wrap in my opinion...is tightly wrap in plastic wrap then wrap in butcher paper.

Jerky is easy...you can use ground or sliced meat. Find some seasonings you like and follow the instructions. for ground it helps to have a jerky gun.