HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you process your deer or take it to the butcher?
Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Murby
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ChasinTail
You guys prefer wrapping in paper freezer paper or plastic. Don't have a vaccum sealer.
I store my hamburger in bes-pak containers: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1390293

They are square so they use space efficiently, air/liquid tight so no freezer burn, they stack neatly when not in use, and made of HDPE so they are dishwasher safe.

How easy is it to make jerky?
Not difficult at all but you'll need a food slicer like the type with the rotating blade and you'll need a food dehydrator with a fan and heating element and temperature control.

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup worchester sauce
1 cup water
Everything below is optional but I use it all...
1 to 4 tablespoons liquid smoke.
1 to 4 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 to 10 tablespoons of red-hot Tabasco sauce (don't worry, most of the hotness gets neutralized in the process)
1 or 2 tablespoons mustard
2 to 5 tablespoons A1 Steak Sauce

Put all that stuff into a container and shake the crap out of it until thoroughly mixed.

Slice meat strips 3/16 to 1/4 inch thick.. make a pile and then take each piece and trim off the fat.. The less fat, the longer it will stay in storage. Throw each piece into the magic sauce above.. When the container is full, put it in the fridge for at least over-night so it soaks in.

TIP: Using woodworking terms, cross cutting the meat makes for a tender and easy to eat jerky. Rip cuts makes it chewy and long lasting.

Lay the strips out in dehydrator trays one at a time.. when tray is full, sprinkle on some pepper, any spices you like. Pretty much any type of non-salt steak seasoning is good here. I also like to brush on a final coating of Tabasco sauce.. (when it dries, it gets largely neutralized).

Put trays in dehydrator at 155 degF and let it run for about 12 hours. A few hours less in dry climates.

The jerky is done when you pull out a thick piece, let it cool a bit, then bend it over.. it should crack where it bends but not snap in half.

I turn my whole deer into jerky.. its a healthy wholesome snack that provides lean protein and it keeps for years if you put it in air-tight containers in a freezer.

If you plan to make a lot of jerky, DO NOT throw out the magic sauce.. Put it in a small pan, boil it, then re-use the sauce for the next batch.

Also, make sure that EVERYTHING that meat will touch has been cleaned with bleach or sanitized at high temperature in a dishwasher. Make sure to wash your hands every 15 or 20 minutes and if you touch anything else. Remember that you are not cooking the meat so you don't get the added benefit of using heat to kill bacteria. (although the magic sauce brine mix does a pretty good job of it)

Hope that helps,

Last edited by Murby; 10-08-2013 at 05:39 AM.