HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you process your deer or take it to the butcher?
Old 10-08-2013, 04:28 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

First off, skin while warm - much easier! And it allows the deer to cool that much quicker.

If it is 45 or warmer, I quarter it up and place the large pieces in the freezer. The next day I debone most of the meat, making sure to clean my tools and table with a little diluted bleach solution before using. Other than deboned meat, I will cut steaks off the hind quarters and some loin strips and maybe save some other meat for stew. Also, carefully remove and discard any bloodied up or shot up meat. The rest of the deboned meat is immediately put back into the freezer to chill down and then I take the meat to a (reputable) butcher shop to have made into burger - I have them mix in 20-30% lean beef. I have to spend a little money, but also, I salvage more meat than a butcher would typically salvage since I trim off meat around the ribs, neck, etc. One deer can go a long way. Make sure to weigh the meat before you take it in - last time my (former) butcher tried to short change me on the weight but I caught him. There really is no way you are going to mess things up yourself as long as you keep it all clean and cold.

If it is under 45 degrees, I will let the deer hang for a few days. Then process.

I have also ground up my own meat, but it is a hassle if you do not have a top-notch grinder due to clogging and also it can be very costly to add beef if you buy it yourself.

Last edited by MZS; 10-08-2013 at 04:31 AM.