HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Rut predictions?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 05:54 AM
chazspot
Nontypical Buck

I find it difficult to predict the best time as one day is red hot and the next is not as intense. A string of days where there is the most potential imo is the second week of November. If the predictors are saying it's a trickle this year then after the second week of November it will be hot one day and so the next due to the seeking and chasing phase be completed for the most part (speaking of MD/VA areas here).

As previously mentioned, weather is the biggest factor. I've taken vacation in November to only find myself in a treestand with 75 degrees temperatures at 9:00 AM.

For that matter, I think October is best all around as mature does come into heat first and the seeking and chasing phases are just kicking in.

But it seems in terms of a large number of does coming into heat at the same time that the second week of November would be the time-frame for that to occur.

One other variable to consider is the ratio of bucks to does in a particular area. The more males around; the more intense the rutting activity. If there are too many does, then bucks don't have travel very far to satisfy their urges.