HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .338 Win Mag for elk
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
DanMorgan
Spike

I have not been on this board for very long but all this talk about what kind of gun, ammo, bullet, weight, etc..............

I wish more people would just get one good rifle and learn how to shoot it. Shot placement makes all this other stuff not as important. Take the money you were going to spend on a new rifle, scope, ammo, sling, etc......... And get some good training on how to shoot the one you already have. It's priceless. After shooting my two antelopes with my AR-15 in 5.56 cal I really wouldn't have any problem shooting an elk under 200 yards with it. Here comes the people saying “that would be so unethical.” Well if you saw firsthand what that bullet did to the antelope you would change your mind. If an animal doesn't have lungs or heart it will die very quickly. Shot placement, it's everything with big game hunting. I have never had to trail an animal. Not once. If I can't put the bullet in the vitals I don't shoot. Have I passed on some animals that I might have been able to hit? Sure I have, but I didn't pull the trigger. Not fair for the animal, and I am lazy and don't like to look for something all night and day. Rather be hunting or skinning one out.

Get some good training, practice, with the rifle you’re hunting with, and then go down some game.

Good luck this year with your hunt.

Be very afraid of a man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it.