HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Range Report For My .54 GPR
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM
Semisane
Boone & Crockett

You don't have to get exotic. Patch lube can make quite a difference. I would suggest you make a trip to a fabric store like JoAnn's Fabrics and pick up a half yard of 100% Cotton pillow tick. Cut a bunch of squares about 1.5" x 1.5" (square works just as well as round) to be lubed with olive oil or whatever vegetable cooking oil you have at home.

Bring the dry patches to the range with you, a small bottle of the oil, and a couple of paper towels. Lube about a dozen patches together in a stack. Make them fairly wet and massage the stack with your fingers to get the oil evenly distributed in the fabric. Then take three shots with the fairly wet patches and see what you get. Now, remove three patches from the stack, wrap them in a paper towel and dry them just a bit. See how those do. Then remove three more, wrap them in a paper towel and squeeze the heck out of them to dry them quite a bit, and see how they do.

Some guns don't seem to care how wet a patch is. But some of mine are particular, liking a fairly wet patch, or a fairly dry one.