HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to hunting... Need help
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 09:42 AM
raptor5618
Spike

Shot lots of squirrels with a shotgun where most of the shots were the result of walking very slow and quietly. Catch them on the ground if you did good and usually they were an easy shot. I have an old lever action Mossburg 22 with a cheap 4X on it. The gun is pretty beat but it shoots incredibly well. I think that camo would probably help but I think that if you sit still it is not a necessity. Most of the squirrels I shot were taken in blaze orange and there is not a deer hunter who has not had squirrels harass them while sitting there in all orange. I think the conditions in the woods would dictate which gun and which method you use as well as how you like to hunt. Dry leaves, I think you would do better to sit with a 22. wet leaves you can walk with a shot gun. But there are lots of squirrels and it is not a competition so hunt the way that is most enjoyable to you. I personally would prefer to get less game using the method I enjoy than to hunt in a way that is torture to me but is perhaps more effective. The reason I say perhaps because it seems to me that when I do things using a method I do not particularly like I see less game because I usually am far less focused and probably miss as many as I spot. Learn to enjoy the sport and try not to get too caught up in piling the game up just to prove a point. Of course that is unless that is what is fun to you.