HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bolts for PSE Foxfire???
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
rafsob
Nontypical Buck

I guess no matter how many times you try to inform people that the crossbow today don't shoot BOLTS!!!!! They shoot arrows. Crossbows during the medieval times actually shot metal bolts that were actually solid metal shafts. They didn't have fletchings on them!!! They were more then likely made this way to penetrate the metal armor of the day.

And please don't came back at me and tell me that everyone calls them that, they are wrong. Some think it is sexy to call them BOLTS.

A little research:

Bolts do not have fletching, i.e. feathered ends like those commonly seen on arrows.[6] Crossbow bolts can be fitted with a variety of heads, some with sickle-shaped heads to cut rope or rigging; but the most common today is a four-sided point called a quarrel. A highly specialized type of bolt is employed to collect blubber biopsy samples used in biology research.

Most modern crossbows are designed to shoot arrows instead of bolts.[6] Crossbow arrows are of similar construction to ordinary bow arrows,[7] just shorter in length because of reduced power stroke.

Last edited by rafsob; 09-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.