HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to hunting... Need help
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Kytus
Spike

1) I own a 12 gauge is that overkill? Should I purchase a 22?

Even if it is "overkill" you can test different chokes and shot size for optimum killing while still retaining plenty of edible meat.

2) What is the best kind of optics for a 22 specifically for squirrel hunting?

We'll without knowing what type of 22 you want to get i'll give my top 2 options:

A) If you are using a semi-automatic like a marlin model 60, I'd suggest open iron sights.

B) if you are using a bolt action 22, I'd personally go with any trusted 4x rimfire scope. Unless you are in a unique situation of needing to use a heavy barreled 22 to take 100 yard shots on animals, you don't need more than 4x IMO.

I personally use a 22 because I generally don't shoot them on the move, I wait until they stop to eat or look around.

3) Is cammo necessary for midseason Illinois squirrel hunting?

Can't really say, I hunt in the rocky mountains and when I hunt squirrel I do it while walking through thick woods near a stream. I see em in a tree, and line up a safe shot and pop em on down. Occasionally get em on the ground. I've never had an issue wearing blue jeans and a camo shirt. Sometimes even still have my blaze orange hat on.

4) Are calls necessary, do they help? For $12 at bass pro I'm willing to try.... What about cutter calls?

Wish I could offer more, I haven't used calls other than rubbing the 2 ridges of quarters together to mimic cutting. That does seem to work some of the time.

I'd suggest you go out with your 12gauage with a full choke and some shells in maybe #5 or #6. Wear whatever is comfortable and will be right for the weather and see how you do.

You'll be able to make a far better judgement of what you'd like to change or what didn't work at all for you, once you are out there in the field.

Last edited by Kytus; 08-30-2013 at 06:56 AM.