HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting SWAMP bucks
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM
olsaltydog
Nontypical Buck

We are swampy all over here in eastern NC especially if we are hunting near a river or the ICW. The deer go there for a reason. It's thick, noisy for us to get into and they can see and smell us while we have a very hard time discerning them from all the brush. They have full advantage in this zone.

My father has gotten a few in these areas so gave him a call. He said use dogs. Lol but told him not me was for advice online. He explained a lot of those deer get in there and get in a little earlier then other deer. So they may actually be bedded down by 7-8. If not earlier. So if you go it would have to be early and still may not get in. He also went on to explain those areas are thick but it is like a home for them. They may be in there but one day may be bedded about a hundred yards from where you think he is like the living room then another time in a different spot like the bedroom. He also said dont hunt these areas often. If you hunt it and jump a deer best not try again. May be able to try after a few weeks but once is enough to push these deer away.

He said more but I'm on an IPAD at the moment so may try to add what else he was saying later. I been curious about this as well because this past weekend I scouted a new area this past weekend and planned to hunt the outer edge like you. So he knows the area I am hunting and has been giving me pointers. Due hope to hear from other experienced hunters as well. Hope what I passed on gets it started though.