HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting SWAMP bucks
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Bigeasy08
Spike

Default Hunting SWAMP bucks

Ok, I know the gist of everything to have to do with hunting mature deer in swamps. I know where to scout, what to look for, etc. I have been hunting a swamp for years now and understand a lot of the movements of deer, but I mostly stick to the outer edges of the swamp. A lot of really successful hunters will tell you that you need to dive right into a big bucks bedding area to kill him...so I have one question concerning most of the debate with hunting swamps...

Lets say you come across a high spot in the swamp. It has oaks on it and leads to another high spot that is thick to death with cover...there are rubs everywhere and it is obviously a hotspot for a big buck and you need to hunt the area..

How do you guys manage to get into that area without either blowing the deer out or alerting him that something is up? I mainly bowhunt, so obviously it makes it more difficult to hunt anything thick...but I just have a hard time figuring out when you would get into an area like that to hunt it. Sure, you can try to get there early enough in the morning to cut him off, but even if you ever try to hunt it in the afternoons, how would you know if he is there watching you climb your tree?

I talked to a guy once who kills giants out of swamps. He hunts about 80 yards from these high spots and never goes into the swamps before 10am and kills a lot of deer mid afternoon. I would assume that a deer is back to its bedding area by 10am and that you would jump him coming in...am I wrong? are the patterns just completely different in a swamp? It is hard for me to see that you can sneak up on a deer like that in its own environment, regardless of wind direction, scent control, or stealthiness, and it not know you are there unless he is in another zip code working his way back.

Last edited by Bigeasy08; 08-28-2013 at 06:38 PM.