HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Ammo?
Thread: Elk Ammo?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:17 AM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Absolutely.
180 gr. 30 caliber rifle bullets were designed with elk in mind. Those made in USA anyway. I've heard all the malarkey about Core Lokts and Power Points not being "effective on elk size game". BS

Nothing wrong with an expensive premium bullet, but they won't turn a poorly placed shot into a kill and they won't kill any quicker with a well placed shot than a standard C&C bullet.

I'm all for the guys making a buck by selling high end bullets but I throw the flag when somebody says they are necessary to kill large animals.
My hunting party's experience with all these new "premium," non-cup-and-core bullets is about the same as it's been with the expanding broadheads that all the TV personalities rave about - poor. You won't find an expanding broadhead in our camp anymore, and after last season watching one elk and three deer walk away after solid hits with the new "premium" bullets, I expect we won't see any of those unless someone new shows up who's been reading the ads in the magazines....

The best performance I watched last season was a bull elk that was set back on his hindquarters, shot through the heart we found later, finally rolled over, thrashed around for half a minute or less, and finally bled out. Great performance if you're bowhunting, but for a bullet out of a .300 WSM? The bullet was a "pass-through" as well, which is part of the reason I'm not convinced they're worth the metal they're made of. Blood trails are for bowhunters. If you're not putting an animal down nearly in his tracks with a rifle, something's not quite right with what you're doing or using.

I'm sticking to my simple C&C Hornadys. They worked in the past, and they still work today. No hesitation from me if I have to buy cheap Core-Lokts.