HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best bow for $500
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Default Interesting quandry, Dr. Watson...

Opening up to used bows is a bag of worms. There's such a weird market on used bows, it's hard to say that X bow used should be $XXX and Y bow used should be $YYY.

Then I'd ask the next step question, are you looking for complete bows for $500 (i.e. total budget), or a used bare bow for $500?

Shopping the used archery market is terrible. It's pretty common you'll find used ready-to-hunt bows for $500 that might have been $500 bare bow new, so you're not gaining a lot. Now if you start looking at considerably older, undesirable models, then you can start increasing your savings.

If you're looking for a great $500 single cam that comes new ready to hunt, take a look at the Diamond Outlaw. I've set a few of them up in the last few years for customers, and have sold even more of them. Really good value bow. The Apex sight on them isn't anything fancy, but it's serviceable, the Rest needs replaced asap, but it'll work well enough while you save up for a different rest.

Other than that, it's hunting ebay, craigslist, etc to find a certain bow model that you're interested in, and hope it's a good deal. I've seen a used Mathews z7 go for $1000, and another go for $500, picking out used stuff by price is just way too subjective, and gauging use on bows is difficult.