HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 168 gr bthp for deer?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Gangly
Nontypical Buck

If its a ballistic tip hollow point, its fine for hunting. Deer are thin skinned and you wont have any worries about bringing it down with those. 168 gr ballistic HP will do some serious internal damage and drop them quick or leave a blood trail so massive they arent hard to find.

I hunt with 150 and 180 grn winchester ballistic silver tips and they drop the deer in their tracks. I have only ever had one of those fail to exit completely and it was a quartering away shot where the bullet entered behind the rear most left rib and there was a TINY hole in the right shoulder where a piece of the bullet exited. The insides of the deer were trashed and it was easy to see why he didnt go anywhere after being shot. Generally, with the ballistic tip hollow points, you will offten times have massive exit wounds. I dont care for shoulder meat so it really doesnt bother me if the bullet demolishes the shoulder and surrounding meat, so I love them. I care more about the deer expiring quickly than anything else and they do a great job of that.