HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pellet gun for rabbits?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 08:33 AM
Nomercy448
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
just slightly safer , really....

much safer actually
My point wasn't necessarily meant to compare the relative energy of a bbgun (5-12grns at 750-1300fps, not including larger bore 'hunting ariguns') to a .22lr rifle (30-50grns at 800-1200fps), as obviously, the rimfire takes the cake.

My point, which I didn't make well in the interest of brevity, was more that the difference is moot if you're talking about close quarters. Break the glass in your neighbors truck window with either of them and you're still on the hook for reckless discharge of a firearm charges, violation of proximity law charges in some areas, paying for the damages. Accidentally injure your neighbors dog, or worse, a person, and again, you're still on the hook for reckless endangerment, criminal negligence, recuperative damage restitution, etc etc.

So no argument that the extent of damage done by a pellet rifle vs any rimfire or centerfire rifle, but moral of the story, you're not off the hook for safety and responsible gun handling just because it goes 'pitooey' instead of 'kabang'.