HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Compound vs. Traditional for hunting
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Psylocide
Nontypical Buck

Default Compound vs. Traditional for hunting

Hey all, thought this might be interesting... what style of bow to you prefer for hunting and why? Would you consider hunting with the other style?

The reasons will most likely be similar, but thought it would make for a good discussion.

I am hunting with a recurve this year after many years with the compound bow. The reason I've chose to go traditional is because I like the overall simplicity of the bow (no accessories, save a patch of pleather on the riser and some whiskers on the string). I feel like shooting sans sights and hitting the intended target is much more satisfying than lining up the pins with the peep and using a mechanical release. There's just no better feeling than getting a good group out of a bow that has no sights. The only downfall that I see as a significant one is that the overall height of a traditional bow is often much taller than a compound and could lead to maneuverability issues in the field, that otherwise wouldn't happen with a compound. That and zero let-off, but I haven't experienced any ill-effects from that yet, could happen afield.

Anyway, that's my .02, let's hear it.