HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a scope
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 08:44 AM
RaySendero
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigtim6656
Ok my plan is to buy a rem 700 either 3006 or 308 not sure yet. This will be for deer huntin mainly in ks also might do some in kentucky. Where im at in kansas seems to be mainly open fields and prairie so planning for a long shot

While it will mainly be for hunting i love target shooting and like pushing my self so i can see goin out to maybe 1000 yards

Im tryin to figure out what scope i wonna put on the gun. While i dont plan to hunt at much past idk 400 yards i wonna be able to target shoot pass 400. So what scope you guys recommend i want to keep it bout 500 or less id like to stay around 300 but ill go 500 if i need to
tim,

You may be asking toooo much from one rifle and one scope!!!

My rifle for both long shots hunting and targets has a 8x32x40AO scope with a mildot rectile and target turrets. I use it on 8 for hunting and crank up the power for targets. I have had to pass on a few real close shots at deer.

It is good for about 600 yards on targets - It won't go to 1000 yds due to limited range of vertical adjustment. I could get a mount that would allow the scope to adjust to 1000, but then could not re-zero to 200 for hunting.

I recommend you consider 2 rifles to cover this spectrum.