HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick a scope
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 07:43 PM
homers brother
Nontypical Buck

Having used my share of them, I'm no longer a fan of the "BDC"-type scopes. Let's give this a twist...

How are you calculating range to target? I've yet to meet anyone who can call range reliably in all conditions within 50 yards by "eyeballing" it. Obviously, a laser rangefinder is probably the most common solution to the problem, but even those can be affected by lighting conditions. Unbeknownst to many shooters anymore, the mil-dot reticle is ideal for calculating range - the math made even easier if you have the slide-rule-like "Mil-Dot Master" tool.

Once you're confident in your range to target, you're much better off applying that range through a ballistics chart or using DOPE to your scope through target turrets. If you own a smartphone, it's easy. One of the best Android apps I've used is "Shooter" - you'll need actual muzzle velocity and some basic bullet information (Ballistic Coefficient, length, weight, etc.) but it'll spit out how many MOA or Mils you need to apply to your scope.

My "beyond-300-yards-target-gun" is a Remington 700 LTR in .308. It wears a Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20 ERT with M5 (Mil) turrets and usually prints on a 10" plate out to 900 yards or so where it goes subsonic (20" barrel) provided I get the range right and do my part behind it. The scope cost more than the rifle. The mounts alone cost more than most scopes that I hunt with.

A long-range hunting/target rifle is a specialized proposition. A hunting rifle that you'll use out to 400 yards or so doesn't need to be, nor does it need to be as expensive. For what you propose, I'd recommend a solid 3-9x or 4-12x/16x. Target turrets if they're available. If not, don't lose sleep over it. Practice can overcome an equipment shortfall. Buy GOOD mounts - not those Chinese cheapies. I have a number of Burris Fullfield IIs in 6.5-20x and 4.5-14x that do just fine out to 400 yards on .223s, a .22-250, and another .308. With good mounts, even the 6.5-20s were under $500. None of them have target turrets.