HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30/30 and elk ???
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
a lot of good info here, thanks.

Had them out to shoot today, the kid shot both guns of a bench and did great. He had a great 6 round group with the 06. He also did good with the 30/30 and you can see that the gun just fits him better in a hunting situation. Well it will be up to them with which one to take I am just giving them the option. I will be sure to pass on the bullet suggestions to them.
***Okay, if the kid shot a great group with the 30-06 off the bench, even if it doesn't fit him perfect, there is no reason he can't hit an elk when using shooting sticks or a bipod. I'd recommend a bipod on the 06 and get him used to it with as much practice as possible since he proved he can shoot it off the bench. I'd also suggest that they get some 165 or 180 grain Hornady Interbonds for the actual hunt. They are an expensive bonded bullet, as are all bonded ones, but you can shoot some cheap stuff for practice and then not long before the actual hunt sight the gun in with a few of those and there should still be plenty left in the box for the hunt itself. I don't think you'll find anything better for elk than that bullet and I'm sure he won't have any trouble sighting it in as it's pretty accurate in mosts 06s.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-28-2013 at 05:08 PM.