HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Sticks or screw in steps?
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM
OhioNovice
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by gjersy
Check with the property owners, to see if they're going to harvest some timber one day. The screw in lags or nails are destructive to the tree value, I'm a logger and I see lots of timber ruined from deer stand metal. Even when my chain doesn't hit the nails, I know theres metal in the tree as it gives it a blue stain streak, thus ruining the veneer or grade lumber.
They have loggers come in every few years, this year in fact. Fortunately this tree isn't marked to be cut. The one that my ladder stand was marked, and had to be moved. I could honestly care less about the loggers. Nothing against loggers personally, but myself and the landowners son had a very nice wooden platform tree stand that his great uncle had built in the 1950's and the loggers cut it down, and didn't even take the tree! They have left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. They currently have the trees marked to be cut but didn't get them cut before the crops were planted so Im guessing as soon as the crops come down, so do the trees, thus ruining my hunting season.

The next stand that gets cut down, that isn't on a marked tree, there is going to be hell to pay.