HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Deer hunting/scouting with TOPO Maps Help!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 AM
nodog
Giant Nontypical

a topo is part of the picture to mapping out a property. just a part. I have to see the land as it is with the ability to see outside of the land.

For example a place I've hunted and mapped had a poor acorn year, food was some where but not on that land, there were crops outside of the land to the south, that's whee the deer went. A topo would've never told me that plus there's private info a topo doesn't reveal, like someones driveway that doesn't like people driving down it.

Even after I do all the mapping I take gps in had along with the map I've created and walk the property marking all the sign in the gps. With that I return to the software, plug in the points and a real picture of deer movement is revealed. I've gone back years later using the created map and been as successful as I'd hope. Knew right where to go and got setup long before first light.

One software I use allows the addition of pictures, I don't have to try and remember what to look for, I can see it any time I want right where it was as a waypoint on the map.

Topo's had their day, but today offers way more in mapping than a topo ever could.

I haven't quite put it together, but I'm making a mapping library for my kids and their kids to use. As long as the lands there the info will be good enough to get a person in the thick of it..