HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wood or synthetic stock
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
buffybr
Typical Buck

Default wood stocks

[quote=bigbulls;3889491]I much prefer wood stocks if given the choice. If sealed with the proper finish they are just as weather proof as a synthetic stock. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun.[/quote]

+1000

I hunted for about 40 years with my walnut stocked .30-06/.30 Gibbs. I hunted elk with it almost every one of those years in all kinds of weather, and it rode many miles in a leather scabbard on the side of my horse. I hunted with it in Colorado, Montana, and Alaska. The checkering shows some wear, but overall, the stock is still in excellent shape.

I also have over 30 years of hunting with my fancy walnut stocked .257 Ackley. It's been on probably 4 or 5 dozen deer and antelope hunts and a number of bighorn sheep hunts. It's also still in very good shape.

About 10 years ago I broke down and bought a Rem 700 in 7mm Rem mag. It has a stainless barrel and action, and is in a plastic Remington stock. I did take it on one hunt in South Africa, and I have used it on several deer, pronghorn and elk hunts, but I mainly keep it as a backup rifle for wet, and foul weather hunts.

My main rifle now for elk and probably any hunts outside of Montana is a .300 Weatherby that I stocked in AA Fancy walnut. I finished it with over a dozen hand rubbed coats of Tru-oil and I rub it with stock wax before every hunt.

I've also heard that Thompsons Water Seal can be applied over the finish of a wood stock and it will repel water and not damage the finish.

By the way, bigbulls, GREAT AVATAR!!!!