HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - grim reapers and KE
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 08:27 AM
Bigeclipse
Spike

Originally Posted by croc2116
I want to try the new Grim Reaper Whitetail Special, but don't know if I have enough ft lbs of KE? I am shooting 65 lbs, 390 grain arrows including 100 grain head, 27.5" Draw length. I don't know what my speed is so I'm guessing 280 ft/sec. My bow is set at 65 lbs but maxes out at 70 lb's and the IBO speed is 330 ft/Sec. My question is how do I find out my speed without a chronograph and do I have enough power?

Thanks
croc2116
Honestly...after everything I researched 60ke is really the bottom of the suggested amount for mechanicals...now this is subjective but it is what most will say. You have about 65ke. The whitetail special is a 2inch cutting blade which is quite large...one of the largest. I would want to be pushing more like 75+KE to shoot those, but you will probably be ok for DEER and broadside ONLY shots with little quarting. Personally, id go for the regular reapers 1 3/8ths by 3 blades which is still an awesome CUT and does lots of damage with little to NO fear of penetration issues. ALSO NOTE that the RAZOR Cuts have showed issues with the tips bending...not sure if they fixed that but the RAZOR tips show no issues so I prefer the razor tips. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Bigeclipse; 07-24-2013 at 08:30 AM.