HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Questions about resident hunting in Alaska
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 AM
AK Jeff
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by always4wheelin2
I was just offered a job in Alaska and was wondering if any residents of Anchorage Alaska could give me insight into hunting there. Are all residents of Alaska allowed a tag for moose each year? How is the moose hunting right around Anchorage? I won't be able to drop big dollars to fly places in Alaska to hunt. What animals are good hunting within a few hour drive of Anchorage? Thank you for your help!
If I was in your shoes I would ask a lot of other questions before even getting to those kind of specific hunting questions. How good of a job offer is this? Can it offset the high cost of living in Alaska? Have you looked at realtor.com or the Anchorage Daily News classified to get an idea of housing prices in Anchorage (hint...they're expensive)? Can you live in a place where it's winter for 7+ months of the year? Will you get enough time off to even get out and go hunting? Hunting trips in Alaska are time consuming. Then you have to ask yourself what kind of hunter are you. Are you a weekend warrior or are you willing to strap on a heavy pack and spend ten days hiking through rugged mountains looking for a legal Dall ram? Are you willing to pack a moose the size of a large draft horse out of a swamp? Are you willing to spend day after day glassing empty tundra in the hopes that a caribou herd will appear?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, I'm just pointing out the reality of Alaska that most people overlook. Too many people fall in love with the romantic idea of Alaska and they overlook reality.

AK Jeff