HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - new to site - need fitted - need new bow
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM
zim4par
Spike

Default new to site - need fitted - need new bow

Hello Members!

New to the site and have been looking to get some opinions. I have been bowhunting since age 15 (currently age 24). Since then my bow has been a Bowtech Tech 29 that I picked up at a local pawn shop. It has served its purpose and has allowed me to harvest 3 deer, one of which was a decent sized buck. I have been out of the archery world for the last 5 years and trying to get some ideas on what bows I should try first. I know picking out a bow has so much to do with personal preference and feel but what would be some good bows to start with? I have been reading fantastic reviews on the Hoyt Spyder 30 (my friend who is a manager at an archery shop owns one and loves it) He said to get in the shop and we will shoot a few different combinations so I know that is where I will start. A few others I have read on that I thought had good reviews were: Mathews Creed, Mathews Monster Chill. Money is not an issue. I have never actually been "fitted" for a bow and I know that alone will make a huge difference in my enjoyment/commitment with the sport. Anything that's newer is going to be a huge improvement from what I have now (Tech 29 has got to be at least 15 years old). Probably not a huge surprise (since I have never been fitted) but I get a little slap on my left forearm once in a while because the draw is too long. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will update when I shoot a few, Thanks!

P.S. I'm 5'8 185 lbs and currently draw 60 lbs. Plenty of lbs. for me!