HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Long Range Patterns
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by maytom
Well Adrian, look's like your gun is a 50 yarder for sure!!!!!
***I would agree with that comment if all 50 yard shot patterns look like that. However, the 60 yard pattern is certainly not one that should be used on a turkey, as I don't feel there are even enough shot in the entire paper to bother counting or think about killing a bird consistently out that far as it appears that there are only 3 or 4 pellets that actually hit the brain and/or vertebrae on that target, so the number 14 on his target is rather deceiving. IMHO those two targets certainly show what Brad and I were discussing when you have a decent pattern at a certain distance and then increase the distance by 5-10 yards. I also think that the test that 14ga. mentioned in his post also proves that. It's absolutely amazing when you do tests like that and see what a huge difference there is in a pattern with only a 5-10 yard increase in distance! However, I would have to say that if his pattern isn't much better at 35 yards than the 60 yard target Adrian posted that the distance on that gun should be kept to 30 yards for a guaranteed kill---just my opinion though.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-30-2013 at 05:05 AM.