HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot: Minimum pattern/maximum range.
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 06:18 PM
buckwild41
Fork Horn

Buckshot....after using it for many many years, shooting literally 100s of WT with it I'm not a big fan. If that is what you are limited to use then you have to do the best you can.... like said patterning is far more important than most hunter think. Some barrels just like certain brands and sizes of buckshot more than others. I learned this the hard way with an A5 that I had more deer run off from than I will admit. After yrs of stupidity I finally took the gun to the range. After testing many brands and sizes of shot the cause of my failure was starring me in the face. The barrel threw most any BS put through it all over the place. Federal Premium 000 3" were the ticket! Out to 40yds 5+ rounds in 20in circle every time. Since the change they don't get away......

Bottom line select the gun and pattern it with numerous brands and sizes of BS. I prefer larger shot sizes and copper coated pellets. Penetration is vital IMHO I prefer big deep hits or clean misses. 000 tends to offer that in most cases.

Even with all the testing I consider BS as a 40 yd weapon. Sure some are killed at much further but I would suggest most have a lot of luck factored in.

If you want a consistent 50yd buckshot gun they are out there but you will have to custom order your rounds and shoot a. .O65 choke. Triball will put 3 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 40yds but you better aim.... that's 3 20ga slugs at one time... they don't run off very often with that load...I promise...

Last edited by buckwild41; 05-13-2013 at 06:22 PM.