HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Buckshot: Minimum pattern/maximum range.
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 AM
Uncle Nicky
Fork Horn

I'm sure I'll be contradicted, but I wouldn't push it past 30 yards, and I'd stick with head/neck shots.

Why? Mostly experience (failure) and observation.

I grew up hunting with buckshot, my father used it, so did everyone else. I killed my fair share of deer with it. Once in a while I would "miss", I always chalked it up to excitement, moving target, etc.

About 10 years ago I shot the deer of a lifetime with 00, 3 times, 32 yards (I stepped it off). I saw him go down, only to see him trot/limp off. I found what was left of him a few months later, unfortunately buckshot usually doesn't usually make for a good blood trail. I was pretty sick about the whole thing, and made up my mind to use rifled slugs after that.

I started looking at deer others had shot with buckshot, and I realized that the pellets don't penetrate enough for a clean kill, at least on a consistent basis, especially later in the season when deer have their winter coats.

Again, I'm not judging anyone who hunts with buckshot. I just think slugs are a more efficient way if you have to hunt with a shotgun.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 05-13-2013 at 04:13 AM.