HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big MO bird down!!
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
MIZ_hunter7
Spike

Default Big MO bird down!!

This past Saturday I harvested the biggest bird I've ever had the chance to hunt. Got out in the river bottoms before 1st light and stood up on the levee waiting to hear for a gobble. I heard this guy about 200 yards to the South and I hoofed it down the levee to a 20 acre field. It was still dark out and he was gobbling his head off at about 75 yards on the roost. Only problem was his roost was on the other side of the Little Blue River. So I set up anyways. I put my Primo's B-Mobile and a breeder hen at about 15 yards and picked my tree. I clucked and purred to him a few times while he was still roosted. I started to hear other yelps and turns out he had 6 hens roosted with him as well. So I started to purr and cut some to them. I figured if I could call the hens he'd follow. Well the 1st hen pitched down off the roost and the rest followed down out into the field. They saw my Strutter and were intrigued. He flew down and was in mid strut before he hit the ground. The hens worked their way to me and he slowly strutted behind. But once he got to about 50 yards he saw that breeder hen decoy and came marching in. At 15 yards I stopped him in his tracks. I was done before 6:28. The sun wasn't even up yet. Wish they all could be that way.

He weighted 26 lbs. with a 10" beard and 1 1/2" spurs. A true trophy bird.
Attached Images